I should be sleeping. My very first resolution of the 2012 is to get to bed sooner, so that I can try to regain the status I once had of being a ‘morning person’. It’s now 11:55pm and I am still wide awake, typing away. It’s is January 4th and I have already broken my first resolution….not such a good start…
Looking back on 2011 (2010 & 2009 too if I’m being honest) I have definitely been severely lacking in the organizational department. Now, anyone who knows me well knows I am
majorly a bit scatterbrained by nature, but I used to have some semblance of a routine to my life.
In 2006-2008 I used to have what I affectionately called my organized chaos. I made lunches & dinners for my husband and I, stayed on top of laundry, made it to the gym 3-4 times per week, walked my dog daily, read at least 1 chapter of a book everyday and found time to write (either poetry or on my poorly neglected novel) at least once per day. I spent time with my girlfriends and saw my family regularly. I also found time to make it to and/or organize several monthly meetings for various additional organizations and donate my time at many events. Skip ahead to 2011 and I completely suck at all of the above.
I know I can cut myself some slack because I did go and start a family and all that jazz. I knew life wasn’t going to be the same after I got pregnant, but this downhill slide happened long before all of that.
So here I stand (at an unacceptable hour) and make my claim for what I want to get back on track in 2012. I figure by stating it publicly for all of the social media network to see, there must be a stronger level of accountability…I hope…
- Go to bed at a reasonable time & get up a reasonable time….starting tomorrow!
- Bring my lunch to work at least 4 times a week.
- Keep a family meal plan. This will help with making dinner, organizing groceries as well as resolution #2!
- Go to the gym at least 2 times within a 7 day period.
- Get back to doing yoga at least once per week. Even if this means in my own living room on a Saturday morning. I can’t even touch my toes very well anymore, which really brings a tear to my eye.
- READ! I won’t say everyday, but at least 4 days per week. And even though I sometimes read them a dozen times per day, Lilly’s books don’t count!
- WRITE! I can’t even say I am ‘writing a novel’ anymore, because it has been over 2 years since I actually touched it. Sad fact that needs to change. I also think I should write something for my daughter. She inspires me everyday, just need to find the time to put it on paper.
- Be a better wife/daughter/sister/friend/coworker/volunteer/leader – I suck at follow up. I have to say I am likely the best at it with OnlyGreen, which is great, but also sad. It has become a joke that my friends, family & fellow volunteers have a better relationship with my voice mail, twitter & facebook accounts, than they do with me. That is changing come hell or high water.
So there they are. My ideal resolutions for 2012. Let’s hope I can stick to them and make them more than just idealistic.