I should be sleeping. My very first resolution of the 2012 is to get to bed sooner, so that I can try to regain the status I once had of being a ‘morning person’. It’s now 11:55pm and I am still wide awake, typing away. It’s is January 4th and I have already broken my first resolution….not such a good start…
Looking back on 2011 (2010 & 2009 too if I’m being honest) I have definitely been severely lacking in the organizational department. Now, anyone who knows me well knows I am
majorly a bit scatterbrained by nature, but I used to have some semblance of a routine to my life.
In 2006-2008 I used to have what I affectionately called my organized chaos. I made lunches & dinners for my husband and I, stayed on top of laundry, made it to the gym 3-4 times per week, walked my dog daily, read at least 1 chapter of a book everyday and found time to write (either poetry or on my poorly neglected novel) at least once per day. I spent time with my girlfriends and saw my family regularly. I also found time to make it to and/or organize several monthly meetings for various additional organizations and donate my time at many events. Skip ahead to 2011 and I completely suck at all of the above.
I know I can cut myself some slack because I did go and start a family and all that jazz. I knew life wasn’t going to be the same after I got pregnant, but this downhill slide happened long before all of that.
So here I stand (at an unacceptable hour) and make my claim for what I want to get back on track in 2012. I figure by stating it publicly for all of the social media network to see, there must be a stronger level of accountability…I hope…
- Go to bed at a reasonable time & get up a reasonable time….starting tomorrow!
- Bring my lunch to work at least 4 times a week.
- Keep a family meal plan. This will help with making dinner, organizing groceries as well as resolution #2!
- Go to the gym at least 2 times within a 7 day period.
- Get back to doing yoga at least once per week. Even if this means in my own living room on a Saturday morning. I can’t even touch my toes very well anymore, which really brings a tear to my eye.
- READ! I won’t say everyday, but at least 4 days per week. And even though I sometimes read them a dozen times per day, Lilly’s books don’t count!
- WRITE! I can’t even say I am ‘writing a novel’ anymore, because it has been over 2 years since I actually touched it. Sad fact that needs to change. I also think I should write something for my daughter. She inspires me everyday, just need to find the time to put it on paper.
- Be a better wife/daughter/sister/friend/coworker/volunteer/leader – I suck at follow up. I have to say I am likely the best at it with OnlyGreen, which is great, but also sad. It has become a joke that my friends, family & fellow volunteers have a better relationship with my voice mail, twitter & facebook accounts, than they do with me. That is changing come hell or high water.
So there they are. My ideal resolutions for 2012. Let’s hope I can stick to them and make them more than just idealistic.
It's Strangely Me says
Good luck with all your resolutions!
It’s easy getting started but actually sticking to everything is the hard part. When I plan new goals I try to keep them as simple as possible. I like to slowly adjust rather than jump into a whole new lifestyle because that NEVER works out for me haha.
Hope all the best for you and your new resolutions in 2012!
Yandie, Goddess of Pickles. says
If you ever gets time to have baths rather than showers, read in the tub.. Although beware, I’ve wrecked a few books by falling asleep and dropping them in the water!
I’m still considering doing a resolutions post.. Wasn’t going to, but then I did a comment on feministe that I kind of want to parlay into a full post.
FYI – really like the new layout but it might be easier to read if the text box was solid… The icons in the background are a bit distracting.