So once again, I am stealing a post that I wrote for the OnlyGreen blog. It was fitting for today and there was no point to writing a second whole post on the same topic
Today is World Water Day! Today is the day that we celebrate our planet’s most valuable natural resource. Today is the day that we pause to remember just how much conservation should play a role in our day to day lives. It is a day to appreciate and understand that not everyone in the world has the same clean and safe access to this resource, which is essential for life.
Sometimes it can be very easy to forget just how scarce water is for some people. We take for granted that there is a real water crisis in many parts of the world today. Nearly 885 million people in our world go without access to clean water.
Below is a list of some simple steps you can take to reduce the amount of demand you and your family personally have on our water supply.
- Turn off the water during brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Reduce the length of a shower by 2 minutes.
- Install a low flow shower head and low flow toilet.
- Run the dishwasher only when it is totally full.
- Wash your laundry in cold water and only when you have a full load.
- Water your lawn at night. This will also save you from losing approximately 75% of your effort to evaporation when watering during the day.
- Purchase natural cleaning products in concentrated form to avoid unnecessary added water being shipped around the country.
- Carry a reusable water bottle and avoid buying bottled water.
- Collect rain water in a barrel to use to water gardens.
- Spread the word to family and friends about water conservation. Check out Water.org and UNWater.org for some great facts and resources.
- And of course, save water and shower together
Today is World Water Day, but I truly hope that you implement some of these conservation tips into your every day lifestyle. Together we can help reduce the impact, because ideally, no person would ever have to go without something that is so natural and vitally essential.
We must implement all those water conservation tips. It can greatly help our world from water scarcity. filter press